Sunday, November 13, 2011

And Winter Begins


So this week we had our first real snow of the winter. It's here to stay ladies and gentlemen! I think that the only way to get through another frigid winter is to remind myself that it will be our last. But for now, we will just have to enjoy it! I do love the way snow and ice look... on trees :)

This weekend Ryan and I had a much needed date night- mingled with exercise. Ryan hasn't been rock climbing since August and I haven't been since even before that! So we decided to go to the rock climbing gym here in Rexburg for some fun and exercise (leaving Hailey at her Aunt Ashley's). It felt good to be climbing again, even if I was painfully out of shape! I missed it, and I know Ryan has too. We shall return to the gym often.

So today in sacrament meeting, our bishop's wife talked about provident living and food storage. I wish I was better at these things. She told a story about this friend of hers who only cooks 4 times a year- She buys about $400 worth of food every 3 months and spends a few days cooking up a frenzy and freezing loads of meals! Sounds great, but I am definitely not THAT ambitious! But maybe I should do SOME freezing of meals for emergencies and hectic nights. Thoughts? Recipes? As for food storage, I find it hard to start when I know I'm going to be leaving in 6 months and will have to drag all that food with us wherever we go. But who knows, maybe we will be needing a food storage supply within the next 6 months! Its totally possible here in Rexburg!

3 comments:

  1. We have built up our food storage a bit here. You don't need THAT much though! We have spent about $100 every 4 months or so and go to CostCo - toilet paper, paper towels, and food staples that we always use like canned chicken, cream of mushroom soup, chili, etc. It's nice to use when you go over your food budget for a particular month just to use food storage, or when you need to go to WinCo but you don't get around to it for like a week later. As for my freezer... I definitely don't have any room! But sometimes I freeze leftovers in a tupperware or half a can of tomato sauce that I won't use until the next time I use that particular recipe. IDK that's worked for us. Doing it a little bit here and there, replacing cans when they're on sale and living off it when we need to. =)

    By the way, your blog is so cute! how did you change the font like that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... AND you guys are leaving in 6 months?! As in... may-time? Where will you be going? =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we will probably be leaving at the end of april. And I changed the font in the design template thingy on blogger. I don't think they used to have all those new fonts! But they do now!

    ReplyDelete