Wednesday, July 31, 2013

One Trauma After the Next

My dad has always said, "It's a good thing kids are so dang cute- or else, they wouldn't make it!". I have never understood that saying better than I have over this past week. Now I know...

Let me start with last Thursday. Thursdays are usually the days we go spend with my mom and sisters down in Burke. So I was getting ready and straightening my hair. When I was done I put the straightener on the counter and turned it off. Well Hailey decided it was her turn to give it a try (I'm sure you can see where this is going). She only had it in her tiny little hands for a moment. But her soft delicate skin was no match for the 400F (give or take) hot flat iron. It scalded her pretty badly. And I felt awful! I thought that she had walked out of the bathroom... I guess I was wrong. She burned her first two fingertips on the left hand and the entire length of her thumb on the right hand. We rubbed ice and ran cool water on her burns for almost an hour before she could stop crying.


(the pictures really don't do the actually thing justice. the next day the whole thing turned into a HUGE blister that made her thumb 2x bigger than normal.)

Of course this all happened the day before our beach trip! Great. So I did my best to bandage her wounds- but have you even tried to bandage a finger wound?? THERE. IS. NO. GOOD. WAY! Especially on little tiny fingers! ugg. But I did what I could, and it seemed to work pretty well. I wrapped some gauze around it and then fashioned the bandage tape around her thumb and secured it around her wrist to keep it from falling off. Success!
(all bandaged up!)

At the beach, my main concern was to keep her wounds free from infection- but I should have been more concerned with what she was ingesting... sand. She loved the beach (Separate blog entry on that).  But she kept getting sand in her mouth! Yuk!


Hailey has been on a big ELMO'S WORLD kick. She always wants to be watching "Elmose". So on our drive to the beach we had to watch the same 2 Elmo's World episodes over and over again! I was just about to blow my brains out when we finally got her to enjoy some "How to train your Dragon"

AFter our adventures to the beach we were pretty tired. So the next day Hailey took a pretty long nap (about 3 hours) in the which time I also fell asleep. I woke up to the sound of Hailey knocking on her bedroom door. You see, we recently changed her from her crib to the convertible toddler bed.



So in order to keep her from getting up and walking out the door, we put one of those baby door knob safety things on. So when she wakes up, she comes knocking on the door for me to come get her. Well, I failed to realize that she would become interested in the little whole opening for the handle lock. She locked the door from the inside and I could no longer get in her bedroom to get her.



I tried busting her out for about an hour. I had called Ryan and he was making his way home as fast as he could- but he works an hour away. I was freaking out pretty bad. Hailey was calling for me and I couldn't get to her. There is nothing worse than feeling helpless to aid your child and save them from pain or discomfort. I was distraught. So I ran downstairs and dragged a neighbor up to help me. Luckily, he had the tools needed to bust through the door jam. Of course, now he thinks I'm a blubbering idiot. But I made him some awesome cookies to try to make up for it. :)

Thus concludes the adventure/trauma of the past week. Bring on the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment